Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Network with Everybody

So today I did some extra work out in Brooklyn for a film called "The Lost Book of Rap". It was an audition that I didn't book, and I really didn't expect to hear from them. I don't usually go for extra work, especially when I know I won't be able to wiggle my way into a couple of speaking lines. But this movie sounded cool. So when I got the email first thing in the morning to show up at the shoot by noon I figured, that's a little unprofessional, but what the hey.




The experience turned out to be a great one. The movie featured some classic hip-hop artists that me and pretty much everyone else I know grew up on. I met Melle-Mel, Grandmaster Caz, and like half of the Sugar Hill Gang. The moral of the story was, you really never know what's going to come out of a film shoot until you show up and meet the people. I didn't know if it was really going to be worth my afternoon, but I ended up networking with a lot of actors, handing out a bunch of business cards, seeing a really awesome church choir, and meeting some of the most iconic hip-hop artists ever. Triple awesome. The mantra rings true, you really can't judge a book by its cover, or in this case, a movie by its backstage ad. If there's one thing I've learned about acting in New York, its that you never know who's sitting next to you. It could be a nobody, it could be the billionaire heiress of In and Out Burger. You never know. So network with everybody. The least you'll come out with is an entertaining story.


3 comments:

  1. You met the billionaire heiress of Inn and Out Burger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me so hungry. LOL. What a cool day!

      Delete
    2. Lol, never met the Inn and Out Burger owner, but I'm just saying, you never really know

      Delete