Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Jazz Poem


What Makes A Woman More Than Just A Woman

what makes woman more than just a woman

is it the way her shadowed silhouette remains
etched in my mind after just one dance
the outline of gently parted lips
inviting me in with just a touch of demand
and right before our lips meet
i can just make out the lines that flow
down a soft smooth arm
bending to my will
while obeying hers

what makes a woman more than just a woman

is it the way her smile can light up every part of my soul
or the way her laugh can warm me
from my dreads down to my toes
is it the way her hair feels on my shoulder
as she is lulled sleep by my rising falling chest
or the way her heartbeat can find my rhythm
beat as one
and never loose a step

what makes a woman more than just a woman

is it the soft touch of her lips on the back of my neck
that feeling i thought could only be made
by a swaying palm tree
beneath a setting sun
that touch that makes my liver quiver
without one sip of spiced rum
intoxicating love
that spins me
bends me
and brings me back to earth
awakening to those soft warm arms
i feel the thinness of her skirt
the warmth of her body as she gets undressed
the curve of a thigh that demands to be caressed

smell that
that’s the scent of a field of roses
budding to greet the rising sum
wild flower and jasmine take human form
as my scorn is driven away by yet another
and yet i am smothered
by the aroma of one more shot at divine connection
our shared stolen moments of surreal expression
lead me to believe that she must be an angel from heaven
or else the devil in disguise
or maybe she’s the devil not in disguise
or maybe she’s an angel disguised as the devil
tempting me
taunting me
and showing me her way

what makes a woman more that just a woman

when i may never know which one of those she really is
and i don’t even care

what makes a woman more than just a woman
when i can taste the beauty of my future on her fingertips

what makes a woman more than just a woman
when i can say she’s mine

1 comment: