Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Meditation No. 2



i start
by noticing the stillness
of my body finally at rest
and i breathe
deeply

i try to keep
my thoughts gently flowing
like a calm and steady stream

instead they are like waves
crashing into one another
each swelling crest eventually
curling over and falling apart
into a thinly scattered layer
of serf and foam

there is a central current
from which these waves are born
i have not found it yet

i continue to breathe
deeply

i can not feel my fingers anymore

before me lies complete
and utter nothingness
void of any describable
physical quality

it sort of reminds me of the construct program
in that movie with lawrence and keanu

i am afraid
for i am truly alone

and yet i know this is the way it has to be
because this is the way it is

although no longer certain
if i am still deeply breathing
i begin to feel magnetized
to separate points
on either side of me
and now i am
stretching, twisting, bending
in opposite directions
that don’t necessarily
oppose one another
i do not resist

from some point behind me
i take notice of
or rather am noticed by
a great energy force
something i can not
see or touch or hear
and yet i can not
escape its presence

from some point behind me
a voice more sensed than heard
more felt than understood
enters my space
and all at once
my entire universe
is filled with song

just when i recognize this voice
as being neither internal
nor completely external
to my being
i receive words
to represent thoughts
yet i know they are
a poor imitation

i need to speak with you

the words express
and yet i know
i am the one
who needs it most

but where can i find you

the question
barely takes form in my head
before the answer sounds out
an echo in my mind
even as the words are uttered

in all things

and immediately
i think of at least
57 other questions
i want to ask

instead i find myself
slowly paying heed
to my breathing

the floodgates
of my consciousness
are opened once more

in an outburst
my thoughts
return to me
and i notice
that my foot
has fallen
asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment